Wednesday 6 February 2013

Light Show

Light Show
 Hayward Gallery
Southbank Centre
30th January - 28th April 2013

I arrived at 9:45am, the show didn't open till 10am,  My first walk around at 10am was so peaceful and undisturbed, I'm glad I arrived early as by 11:35 it got really busy and there were ques to see the restricted space installations and a lot of noise.

This show was worth the £11 entrance fee I really enjoyed it!

 My favourite installations were by artists Cerith Wyn Evans, Anthony McCall and Carlos Cruz Diez.

My interest in design lies in the impact it has on the human body, the Light Show installations really tapped into this.  One big thing I noticed when walking around was how strong the impact of color theory and the bulb temperature was, and how different they could make me feel.

Here are my show favorites!


Cerith Wyn Evans - SUPERSTRUCTURE
 
  This photo is borrowed from a Google search as no photography of this installation was allowed.
All the other photos are my own.

 These massive tubes of light were like lungs breathing. 
 As the columns exhaled they glowed so warm and bright you couldn't help but be drawn to them like a moth to a flame, then on the inhale the light and heat would dim to fade to nothing. 

This installation was really relaxing to watch  it is so hard to describe how good it made me feel, it was almost the equivalent of the sight and touch version of  listening to ocean waves.

 Definitely one you had to experience for yourself.
 

  
Leo Villareal - Cylinder II





David Batchelor - Magic Hour






Anthony McCall - You and I




"A solid-light installation that incorporates the viewer.  Using a video projector, haze machine and computer scripting as its medium, it is effectively a large sculpture made of light which can be walked around, into and through."

 









The installation visitor controls and  creates the art
by interacting with the beam of light 
constantly changing its projected output on the wall.
  


Carlos Cruz-Diez  - Chromosaturation

 






 Ivan Navarro - Reality Show










 Ann Veronica Janssens - Rose

This installation was so warm and relaxing.  It reminded me of a steam room in a spa, I could have easily curled up and gone to sleep in this room.






Thank you for reading I hope you enjoyed this post







No comments:

Post a Comment